This 8-hour virtual live course covers treating opioid use disorder by using interactive, case-based learning to teach evidence-based practices and also provides the required education needed to obtain the waiver to prescribe buprenorphine. This course covers all medications and treatments for opioid use disorder, and provides the required education needed to obtain the waiver to prescribe buprenorphine. ASAM is an approved provider by CSAT/SAMHSA of DATA 2000 training.
The target audience for this introductory-level course includes: Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Certified Nurse Midwives, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists, and Clinical Nurse Specialists who wish to obtain a waiver to prescribe buprenorphine in an office-based setting for opioid use disorder.
This activity addresses the following ACGME Competencies: Patient Care and Medical Knowledge.
Upon completion, learners will be able to:
- Identify, assess and diagnose patients with opioid use disorder while considering severity, chronicity, individual characteristics, and psychiatric and medical comorbidities
- Develop an individualized, patient-centered treatment plan including negotiating treatment goals by evaluating appropriate medication- and psychosocial-based treatment options
- Monitor progress and modify treatment plan based on patient needs and progress toward treatment goals
- Implement best practices for office systems including team-based care to support treatment with medications for opioid use disorder
- Examine misconceptions, stigma, and complexities (bioethical, social, clinical, public health) associated with opioid use disorder and the use of medications to treat opioid use disorder